Translate

Friday 13 February 2015

THE FRIDAY WEAR ANALOGY

THE FRIDAY WEAR ANALOGY
Today is Friday and in Ghana today, we would be clad in our beautiful African prints  or Friday wear as the dress and day have been blended and crystallized to mean. I for one, has always wondered why we as Africans would proudly wear what is ours on a single day. I have always been of the opinion that we as Africans should proudly put on our amazing African prints on more than a day of the week not one. What I do not understand is the fact that no other day but Friday was selected for such an "August" occasion. Going back in time, growing up as a child, I  saw Fridays as a day when little work was done, when games and P.E (Physical Education) were the reasons we hurriedly went to school. It was a day when the weekend breeze was beginning to set in; in fact other people had their weekends beginning on Friday. My analogy here is, why must we show who we are on the last working day? why do we save our best for last?  Why do we  present what makes us African on Friday? A day I consider to be the last day of the working week. We must be proud of our own and gladly "flaunt" it to show our solidarity. I am just saying that if we take ourselves and what we stand for seriously, we would be treated as such. This is food for thought. I sign off here. My name is Edwin Oko Lamptey and this is just a RANDOM AFRICAN THOUGHT.
Please share. More at randomafricanthoughts.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment